What are UI and IxD Design patterns? One definition from UI Design Patterns says:
User Interface Design patterns are recurring solutions that solve common design problems. Design patterns are standard reference points for the experienced user interface designer.
This post includes 1o brilliant resources for UI Design Patterns. There are many posts out there with the same topic, but many have dead links or are just visual showcases.
I think that a collection of screenshots doesn’t serve well communicating design patterns. However, I have included a couple of such resources, because 2 of them have done such a tremendous job, and offer such a great collection of showcases, that the abstraction is visible and the patterns show.
Here’s my top 10, in arbitrary order:
- UI Design Patterns | http://ui-patterns.com/
- Yahoo! Design Pattern Library | http://developer.yahoo.com/ypatterns/
- Mobile UI Patterns | http://mobile-patterns.com/
- Designing Social Interfaces—Social Patterns & Best Practices | http://www.designingsocialinterfaces.com/patterns/Main_Page
- User Interface Design Patterns | http://www.cs.helsinki.fi/u/salaakso/patterns/
- Interface Design Patterns | http://patternbrowser.org/code/pattern/pattern.php?4,1,1,1,1,8
- hcipatterns.org | http://www.hcipatterns.org/
- Design with Intent Toolkit | http://www.danlockton.com/dwi/Main_Page
- Interaction Design Pattern Library | http://www.welie.com/patterns/
- GUIdebook: Graphical User Interface gallery | http://www.guidebookgallery.org/index
I hope you’ll find them as useful as I did, enjoy!
thanks for this!
I like to mention a facebook group focused on interaction and interface in case anyone likes to be part of an ongoing thing — it is focused on good/bad examples of design: